Wednesday, March 9, 2016

How do I feel about Loki and his followers?

Gonna keep this short and sweet -
I honor all the gods because they are that - gods - and in my belief there is indeed a hierarchy and we humans are not on top, the gods are and therefore I honor them as beings far more powerful than myself - this includes the Jotun, this inclufrs Loki.
I think the tendency within the Heathan/Asatru/NTP communities to dislike Loki comes from the fact that many of us have a Christian background with its binary belief of Good God and Evil Satan. I often see writing regarding Loki and Odin with this same tendency towards a binary and likening Baldr to a fallen Christ awaiting resurrection. This is all nonsense.
I think Mainer74 puts the whole matter very succinctly here.
I take no issue with followers of Loki, or any of the Jotun, dark gods, or any other gods so long as they do not push their beliefs on me.

That all being said; I am my Lady's earthly handmaiden and there are certain taboos that I will not break in my hearthstead - one is that Loki, as the killer of Her son, is not permitted in her presence. I do not honor Loki at Her altar or even in the room Her altar is in. His imagery is not present where I worship Her and I do not speak of him when She and I meet.
I see it like this - just because murder is not necessarily a punishable act among our gods, and Loki's actions can be justified when in the light of Odhinn's actions, it is still rude to bring up the offending party to Frigga, who had nothing known to do with Loki's troubles and still lost her beloved son.

Small side rant: I know I shouldn't let it bug me but...images of Thor movies/comics and its fan art that depict a loving maternal relationship between Frigga and Loki annoy me sooo much. I think i just get annoyed because if you google Frigga its all over the place. /endrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment