Thursday, February 25, 2016

Hulda's Blessing on a Tired Mother

I have recently been having a rough time going to sleep at night. When I lie down with my snuggly, sleeping boy, suddenly my brain is active with should-have-dones and need-to-dos. I also have been having issues with pains that I won't get into in detail but it does make it difficult to get comfortable.
Figuring I had nothing to lose for it, I asked Frigga to aid me in finding a rest after a days work if she saw fit.
I closed my eyes and a small vision came to me, helping me to relax.

I was standing in the foyer of a what was either a small cabin or the small kitchen of a larger hall. 
The room was dominated by a large stone hearth in which a fire was burning with warmth and light that washed over me. 
I looked down to see that I was minimally dressed in a thin night gown and in my arms was my sleeping child with a furrowed brow as if he knew I something was strange. 
We were not alone in the room. 
A middle-aged woman with a gold braid, light blue dress, and a gray shawl greeted me with a soft smile and a nod. 
by Lynn Perkins
This is Frigga as Hulda - the lady of the hearth and comforter of tired mothers. 
Normally I have been met with the Queenly Frigga, Wife of Odhinn and Mistress of Asgard so I was a little surprised at her meeting me in such an informal way. 
Hulda led me to the hearth and bade me sit on the rug there. That rug was more comfortable than any bed I have ever sat or slept on. It was thick and brown and I think made of goat or sheep wool or both. 
She then wrapped my son and I in a thick blue and white quilt - not unlike the one I sleep under normally. 
I curled up on the rug with my child and watched the flames of the fire. 
Hulda went to her spinning wheel nearby. 
The whir of the wheel and the tune she hummed was the sweetest lullaby. 
I looked down at my boy and the furrow in his brow was gone, his face serene as his little hand touched my face and wrapped around a loose strand of my hair. 
I closed my eyes and was soon fast asleep.

That night my son who is 4 months old only woke twice to nurse. We both woke with snuggles and smiles. I placed a pancake on Frigga's altar in thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment